Sustainability

The steps we take for sustainability

Weaving Materials:

  • Deadstock yarn- Factories have overstock that they need to get rid of that would otherwise end up in landfills. We purchase local deadstock and overstock cotton yarns, 80% is purchased directly from the factory that makes them. The other 20% is purchased from family-run workshops that are resellers of deadstock materials. This means we contribute to local families economies too.
  • Recycled cotton- our supplier reproceses their excess undyed cotton, resulting in a textured cotton yarn with a rustic finish.

Our production is human-powered

The spinning is done on a vintage, wooden spindle that Ermes operates with one hand while the other guides the thread on the bobbin that goes inside the shuttle.

Every blanket, scarf & kimono is woven by hand on a wooden loom by our artisan partner Miguel, he has over 50 years of knowledge in textiles. No electricity is used to weave our textiles. 

Each piece is woven to size, this means that there is little to no waste when a throw pillow, kimono or blanket is cut and sewn. We make the extra effort to design patterns accurately & our high-quality standards ensure that what your purchase will be loved for a long time.

The Finishes

Our tassels, fringe & finishes are all made by hand and by women, this impacts homes directly . We have 3 supply partners: Callotl Artisans, a sea turtle conservation project that, in addition to marine conservation, creates fair economic opportunities for locals in Costa de Sol.

Maribel & Ana Maria are independent home-workers located in San Salvador earning a fair wage for their work.

Payment Terms

Larger companies & corporations use payment terms of 30 to 60 days, this means that workshops have to wait 1 or 2 months to receive payment for their work, in many cases creating financial strain. Our supply partners receive payment within 3 business days upon delivery of a completed order. Receiving a fair wage allows artisan's families access to better healthcare, investing in education & ultimately social mobility.

Natural Dyes

Industrial dyeing is one of the most pollutant activities used in textile production. Approximately 80% of our textiles are made with undyed cotton.

We carry a line of naturally dyed designs, we use plant-based dyestuff & food waste to colour treat each unique garment or blanket. The scarf pictured below is hand-dyed with onion skins.

Our Jewelry 

We showcase the natural beauty of coconut shell. Coconut shell is a local, renewable material for Callotl Artisans, our supply partners who are a sustainable development initiative in Costa del Sol, in addition to that we create limited collections with findings rescued from forgotten jewelry, like the mother of pearl half circle featured in the picture below.

Floral Art

This collection was made in collaboration with  Salvadoran artist Andrea Altamirano & women's artisan collective, Arte en Flor. The flowers are collected responsibly in Comasagua from their local gardens, they are carefully pressed & handcrafted using water-based glue.

 

Our Shipping & Packaging Methods

Direct to consumer shipping is made using compostable satchel mailers with minimal paper fillers & rigid paper mailers are used to ship our art. In person sales are packaged in 100% post-consumer recycled paper bags.

 

We are certainly not perfect, but we are happy to keep learning and make the effort of getting better. Do you have questions or feedback? We would love to hear from you, reach out at contact@lavillagoods.com